Monday 4 July 2016

Social Media

"Growing Social Media" by MKHMarketing is licenced under CC by 2.0


I have a love/hate relationship with Social Media.

I mean, I love how easy it is to connect to people and keep in touch with friends who live on the other side of the world to me. I love discovering new friends and even met my now-husband online. I love how easy it is to share interests and discover new writers and artists and musicians that I otherwise would not have discovered. There's a lot of good online.

On the other hand, social media is a complete timesuck, and if I'm not careful I'll spend my entire writing-time mucking about on facebook or doing random quizzes to discover what shade of blue my music taste is. As a writer, it is also painfully easy to get wrong and I am constantly worrying about what constitutes a hard sell, what classes as too much info, am I just being annoying now?

I'm a novice when it comes to social media as a marketing tool, and yet a solid half of my book sales have come through my social media connections. Friends, acquaintances and friends-of-friends have all been extremely supportive and great about getting the word out there, meaning that without ever meaning to use social media as a marketing strategy, that's exactly what I've ended up doing.

However most of this was through my private FB account (I keep it locked down for a number of reasons) and I worry about being That Person who constantly posts about their book or product. So with the help of a friend I've set up a whole raft of social media accounts - a new twitter, this blog, a fb page, even a Goodreads account - with the intention of being a bit more mindful about sharing info about my books and interesting bits of history I come across that might be of interest to historical romance fans.

Well, I have to give it a shot, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment